Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A few words on oatmeal


I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. So does my Dad, and so did my Grandma, it seems to be a family habit. Dad eats it in the morning to “fuel up,” zapping it in the microwave plain with just water, although occasionally he’ll remember to throw in a few raisins to make things exciting. Grammy Bev did the same thing. For them, oatmeal is about the fiber and about the stick-with-you energy it gives.
Oatmeal is a slightly different endeavor for me. Sure, I insist on using the old fashioned rolled oats like Dad since it’s healthier for me, but I cannot stand to make it the same way. I make my old fashioned oats the old fashioned way: in a pot. Strange concept, I know, in a world of fast or instant meals and high tech devices like microwaves. Yet it tastes better that way. The oats keep more of their texture. It also helps that I use milk instead of water. There are very few things blander than plain oatmeal made with water. Not just bland, but mushy, the oats unable to stay in oat form, instead disintegrating into a grayish mass in the bowl.
The great thing about oatmeal is that you can do whatever you like to it. It can be sweet from adding brown sugar or honey. It can have texture by adding dried fruits, fresh fruits, nuts and pretty much anything that sounds good. One of my favorite ways to make it is with cranberries, bits of candied ginger and a splash of vanilla extract. It’s also tasty to throw in cranberries and a spoonful of apricot preserves; the oatmeal turns out wonderfully creamy. I’ve not tried it yet, but it seems like oatmeal could easily become a savory dish, adding veggies and some spices. But probably my favorite way to prepare oatmeal is with lots of cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg and a very generous handful of raisins for sweetness. Its simple, it’s easy and there is no reason to mess it up with a microwave.

Recipe for oatmeal:

2 parts milk (or water for those of you who love blandness) to 1 part old fashioned rolled oats.
(I tend to go rather heavy on the liquid side)

Dump it all in a pan along with any dried fruit, spices, sweeteners, etc. that you want to add in. Putting in the dried fruit like raisins in during cooking causes them to warm and plump up for even better flavor. Turn on the heat and cook, stirring often, until it reaches the consistency that you like. Grab a spoon and go at it!

*oatmeal picture borrowed from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment